How to Protect Yourself From Unhealthy Wildfire Smoke!
Year after year, many of us are affected by wildfire smoke, even if the fires are hundreds of miles away!
It can wreak havoc on our eyes, throats and lungs.
The American Lung Association says that “One of the many pollutants found in wildfire smoke is particle pollution, which is a mix of very tiny solid and liquid particles suspended in air. How tiny? Many of the particles in wildfire smoke are no larger than one third the diameter of your hair. These particles are so small that they enter and lodge deep in the lungs.”
“Particle pollution triggers asthma attacks, heart attacks and strokes—and can kill. Studies of children in California found that children who breathed the smoky air during wildfires had more coughing, wheezing, bronchitis, colds, and were more likely to have to go to the doctor or to the hospital for respiratory causes, especially from asthma.”
Here are 6 ways you can protect yourself:
- Keep a particle respirator handy just in case you need to go outside.
- Visit the website AirNow.gov to monitor the air quality near your home.
- Clean your home air filter.
- Close your windows and make sure your air conditioner is set to recirculate, instead of fresh air intake.
- Don’t vacuum, run the dishwasher, or use the stove until the air quality has improved.
- Purchase a box fan and air filters. Below is a helpful video that shows how to use a box fan with a filter.
These tips are to help minimize and protect you and your loved ones from smoke inhalation.
Do you have other tips to share? Please leave a comment!
TOPIC: How To Protect Yourself From Unhealthy Wildfire Smoke!
Want coaching? Click the button below!
Today, I want to talk about how to keep your home organized! What condition is your home in at this very moment? Disheveled perhaps? If you open a closet door, will an avalanche of clutter come tumbling down...
Do you take daily supplements? I workout daily and follow an extremely healthy diet as a happy vegetarian. I also take supplements daily at the recommendation of my Naturopath. At my yearly appointment, she...
Going on vacation can be fun, yet challenging especially if we suffer from allergies and are sensitive to toxins. Of course, our destinations are cleaned before arrival, but many times they are cleaned with...