How To Use Your Core For Daily Activities!
Have you suffered from back or hip pain with no relief?
I suffered from burning down my leg, lower back pain, hip pain, and a very badly strained IT band.
After visiting a number of doctors and receiving no help, I almost gave up!
Doctors referred me to other doctors, and I endured xrays, an MRI, and ultrasounds.
Some suggested meds, injections and surgery, yet no one seemed to pinpoint the issue.
Desperate for Back Pain Relief!
I was desperate for some back pain relief and tried many different remedies:
- Sat on a balance ball as my desk chair
- Attempted floor exercises
- Had chiropractic adjustments
- Used heat and ice alternatively
- Wore shoes in the house (I have hard floors)
- Stretched my legs every hour
- Put a lift in my left shoe
- Had an excruciatingly painful massage
- Slept with a pillow between my legs
- Took Yoga Classes
- Took Pilates Classes
- Ate lots of anti-inflammatory foods
- Took Ibuprofen (but sparingly as I HATE taking meds)
Nothing Helped the Pain!
Just when I was ready to throw in the towel, a friend recommended a local physical therapist, who was more than willing to help me.
Her name is Anne, and meeting her was the beginning of my healing process.
After reviewing doctors comments and labs, Anne had me do a battery of tests and determined that I had a weak core.
Her method of healing me, was to strengthen my core.
I was willing try anything!
She sounded positive and hopeful which helped quite a bit.
In just a few weeks, my new Montra was “activate my core and bend my knees“.
I realized that almost everything we do on a daily basis involves the core and knees!
Check out the video below:
Anne also advised me that I had a weak sense of balance! I was a hot mess!
Why Strengthen The Core?
- Core exercises train the muscles in your pelvis, lower back, hips and abdomen to work together.
- This leads to better balance for daily activities.
- Most sports and other physical activities depend on stable core muscles.
- Core exercises should definitely included in any fitness routine.
- Core exercises improve flexibility, strengthen abs and the entire body, reduce lower back problems, and promote breathing and lung capacity.
- You use your core when you stand, get up from sitting, and even when exercising.
- Strengthening the core helps with daily bending.
After two years of suffering and many hours of physical therapy, my lower body is healed.
It’s kind of amazing, really.
Anne showed me three exercises that are relatively easy to do.
Check out the video below to see some core exercises.
The functional trainer is a pulley system which is great for a complete body workout.
It can be used many different exercises, and it’s perfect for rehabilitation.
It conveniently fits in a small space or a corner of a room.
In this video, I will show lunging core exercises that I do with a functional trainer.
In physical therapy, I found out that most of us don’t stand up from a sitting position the correct way.
There’s a right and wrong way to get out of a chair.
Most of us don’t do it correctly which can lead to back pain.
Lower back exercises and core exercises are great for strengthening your lower back, and getting up from a chair the correct way is also key.
Watch the video below.
It took a while to get used to the habit of getting up this way, but once you do it for awhile, it becomes a habit.
Have you suffered from back pain? Please leave a comment!
TOPIC: How To Use Your Core For Daily Activities!
If you are concerned about your own self-care, and would like to talk, click on the button below!
Today, I want to talk about how to keep your home organized! What condition is your home in at this very moment? Disheveled perhaps? If you open a closet door, will an avalanche of clutter come tumbling down...
Do you take daily supplements? I workout daily and follow an extremely healthy diet as a happy vegetarian. I also take supplements daily at the recommendation of my Naturopath. At my yearly appointment, she...
Going on vacation can be fun, yet challenging especially if we suffer from allergies and are sensitive to toxins. Of course, our destinations are cleaned before arrival, but many times they are cleaned with...